The importance of a well-balanced nose cannot be overemphasized. As one of the most prominent features of the face, the nose is essential for facial harmony and, for many people, a positive self-image. For men and women frustrated by the appearance of their nose, dramatic improvement can often be accomplished with nose surgery (rhinoplasty); however, San Francisco facial plastic surgeon Dr. David Mabrie has discovered that dermafillers can achieve attractive results for certain patients.
The Surgeon For You
Dr. David Mabrie offers:
- Double board certification
- Excellent training & experience
- Specialization in the face and neck
- A trainer's skill in injectable filler techniques
How Can Dermafillers Help?
Fillers such as RADIESSE®, Restylane® and JUVÉDERM® in San Francisco are FDA-approved for the treatment of nasolabial folds ("smile lines" or "parentheses"). Use of dermafillers for other improvements is performed at the doctor's discretion, but has become widespread with uses such as scar revision, lip augmentation, filling dark circles, and more. For a better understanding of how they work, you can read more about facial dermafillers.
When performed by a highly qualified, board-certified facial plastic surgeon such as Dr. Mabrie, contouring the nose through the use of dermafillers can be an excellent option for some patients. Possible applications include:
- Building the bridge (augmenting the dorsum).
- Refining the results of nose surgery (filling in small defects).
- Correcting asymmetry and concavities.
- Tip enhancement (adding dimension or improving the shape of a flat tip).
- Smoothing or straightening the nasal hump.
Benefits of Nose Dermafillers
There are several benefits to nose dermafillers.
- Fillers are temporary. This means that, should a patient be dissatisfied with the improvement, the results will fade and a new approach can be attempted.
- The changes that can be accomplished are natural-looking.
- Dermafillers are versatile, so Dr. Mabrie is able to achieve delicate, very specific improvements. This type of precision may not be possible with nose surgery.
- Results are visible very soon after the procedure (if not immediately), whereas results from nose surgery can take up to a year to refine.
- The patient is conscious during the procedure, so they can provide real-time guidance to ensure the results meet their expectations and goals.
- No downtime is required after the procedure. There may be some minor bruising or redness, but makeup can be applied immediately to minimize these effects. Patients can return to work or their usual routine right away.
Non-Surgical Revision Rhinoplasty
Facial fillers are a good alternative for patients seeking revision rhinoplasty. Surgical rhinoplasty may result in a weakened nasal structure making the nose more susceptible to injury when subjected to additional surgeries. Small deformities or irregularities on an otherwise ideal rhinoplasty outcome may be challenging to correct with surgery. Fillers are better at contouring than surgery, as they provide the ability to treat deformities without disrupting adjacent areas.
Limitations, Risks, and Reversibility
Non-surgical rhinoplasty has many advantages, but there are also some associated risks and drawbacks. It is important that you fully understand both the advantages and disadvantages of this procedure before undergoing treatment.
Risks & Limitations
Because dermal fillers are not permanent, patients will need to return approximately every 6 months for touch-up treatments. Additionally, non-surgical rhinoplasty cannot narrow cartilage or reduce the size of the nose, so patients with these goals should choose surgical rhinoplasty in San Francisco instead. Unwanted side effects such as bruising, swelling, or redness may also occur. You can learn more about the risks associated with non-surgical rhinoplasty by visiting our Rhinoplasty Risks page.
One of the greatest benefits of non-surgical rhinoplasty is that the procedure is reversible in most cases. If a patient is unsatisfied for any reason, a special enzyme known as "Hyaluronidase" can be injected into the treatment area within the first 24 hours. This enzyme immediately dissolves hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane®, JUVÉDERM®, and Perlane®. RADIESSE® is typically more difficult to dissolve, but can be reduced by about 30%. Ultimately, the effects of dermal fillers are temporary as they are naturally reabsorbed by the body over the course of a few months.
Dr. Mabrie, as a facial specialist, has the extensive education and experience required to develop a thorough understanding of facial structures and tissues. This specialized knowledge and skill allows him to be creative and very successful in using dermafillers for many applications, including non-surgical rhinoplasty for his Oakland and other Bay Area patients.
To learn more about Oakland or San Francisco non-surgical rhinoplasty from a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, request a consultation online or call us at (415) 445-9513. Dr. Mabrie works with men and women from throughout the Bay Area.